Ask a Benefits, Human Resources or Payroll Question


A virtual place to provide assistance with questions you have.  The questions can range from Payroll, Benefits, Leave, Applicant,  Employment, etc. 

Click Ask a Question to submit your question to Human Resources

  • Answers to questions
  • Payroll assistance
  • Benefits assistance
  • Applicant/New hire assistance
  • General Inquiry
  • View and apply for openings
Available To

Employees, Student Employees, Prospective Employees


This service is available at no cost


South Dakota Board of Regents Policies


Ask a Question

Related Articles (53)

How do I access my paystub online?
How do I access my W-2 online?
How do I get a W-2 after I can no longer log into SNAP?
USD's Annual Leave accrual information
How a current employee should apply for a job in YourFuture
A supervisor or superuser needs to approve their employees’ timesheets and leave requests.
Some employees may experience an error message while to trying to enter their employee ID number during the account registration process of Benefits Open Enrollment. Board of Regent employees (includes USD employees) should use their Banner ID number found on their pay stub. If they still experience an error message, they need to contact Human Resources to obtain their State ID number.
Employees may encounter issues logging into the Open Enrollment site.
Benefits Open Enrollment
USD's Bereavement Leave
USD's Maternity and Paternity Leave
How and when you can change your benefits.
Direct deposit changes can be made electronically only through DocuSign or by paper form. Forms emailed into HR/Payroll will not be accepted in order to protect our employees from fraudulent changes.
How to Change or Delete Leave Requests
Contact HR using online form, phone, email, or in person.


Service ID: 155
Wed 2/10/21 7:35 AM
Tue 11/7/23 11:45 AM