What to do for Hazardous Spills and Accidents


Hazardous Materials

  • Includes fuels, janitorial supplies, chemicals, and other items and materials such as fluorescent lights, batteries, asbestos, and paints.

For Spills and Accidents

  • Notify your supervisor and contact UPD immediately
    • Call 911 if necessary
  • If spilled chemical is flammable, extinguish all nearby sources of ignition
  • If a person has been splashed with a chemical, wash them with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, remove all contaminated clothing, and get medical attention
  • If a person has been overexposed by inhalation, get the victim to fresh air; apply artificial respiration if necessary, and get medical attention
  • In other cases of overexposure, get medical attention and follow the instructions of the medical professional

Please contact University Police if you need further assistance

Print Article


Article ID: 8772
Fri 10/27/23 10:24 AM
Fri 10/27/23 12:47 PM
KCS Article Status
WIP: Only Problem & some Environment captured
Not Validated: Complete & Resolution captured, confidence lacks in structure, content, no feedback
Validated: Complete & reusable, used by licensed KCS user, confidence in resolution & std. compliance